Monday, March 1, 2010

What Bleeds The Tranquility

As I wander through these barren streets,
Beholding this dead town, graffiti
Scrawled on the lifeless edifices
All tell the tale of the Thief that 
Absconded my Identity.

I continue my journey, wading through
The trash and debris of this city,
Trying to find the Brigand;
Grasping his note, I try to read it,
But the words are obscure—
His instructions I can no longer see
To find my Face again.

Beyond the boundaries of the city,
I find a cemetery, edifices and memorials
Of those long gone;
But the headstones are illegible,
For time and weather have had their way
With the gravestones.

Upon one tombstone, I see, sits another note
Held in place by a black rose;
I try to read the note, but all I can see
Is a single word: tree.

I see a charred tree in the distance,
Sitting upon a small knoll;
I approach the hill, a tremble setting
In my hands.

I approach the tree, to find the
Rustler sitting beneath the branches,
But my worst fears have come true:
I am the Thief.

1 comment: